Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Blog is back

For those who followed the blog I apologize for no posts in such a long time. No excuses but I'm just not a born blogger. But good news !!! I have asked for help from the Units, to send in small updates on what they are doing. I'm hoping this will make the blog an even better read than ever before. I plan on cutting and pasting from emails I receive and will try to minimize any editing.

I would like to thank in advance all those that put in the effort to send me a couple lines every couple of weeks. With so many Units it doesn't take much to have a good read.

The first Blog Honour goes to Assoro, I look forward to reading many more.

Our Assoro unit has had a hard time getting out together for rides as all members are busy with their jobs, even we retired people are busy with our "retired jobs" and family events...BUT one of our members took a trip up to the Yukon by himself and I am hoping Jeff Syer will do a write up of his trip and let all CAV read his experiences on his five week trip.
Our unit does plan to be at Canton Municipal Offices area for their November 11th Remembrance Service...a special cenotaph is there and since Assoro took it on our unit to take care of Sgt. Dodds' (a Civil War veteran) grave...he is one of of 29 Canadians who fought in the Civil War but is the only one buried in Canada...and he won the Congressional Medal of Honour. Sgt. Dodds is buried at Canton Cemetery and our unit went down, wire brushed his gravestone and cleaned up his grave site completely. Also we donated a new American flag to the Canton Cenotaph, located at the Canton Municipal offices property. Canton is straight north of Port Hope on the Welcome road. We are hoping CAV members from the nearby towns will make an attempt to show up and share in the Nov. 11th Remembrance Service.
I know we will get out for a great colour ride or two but this year different members took part in quite a few charity CAV rides, etc,. not too much together as a unit, but wherever we went with our CAV vests, we did wear them proudly.
Cecile Bowers
Assoro Co-ordinator

5 comments: